Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Warming Up - Exercise 11

26 Acts of Goodness

Allison Wyatt, 6
I just read an article about NBC's Ann Curry's initiative to encourage everyone to commit to doing 26 Acts of Goodness, one for each of the children and adults who died in Newtown, CT. In her blog she said,

"I know the truth: if you do good, you feel good. It’s the most selfish thing you can do. Right now, this country wants to heal. I think the only thing comforting in the face of a tragedy like this is to do something good with it if you can. Be a part of that wave."

I'm in. I don't know that I want to start counting to keep track of whether I'm at #19 or even #27 - I just want to start doing something, and I don't want to stop.

Emilie Parker, 6
One other step I plan to take is to use the 26 Sandy Hook individuals as inspiration for the pieces I write when I begin my Project 365. My goal is to write at least 500 words each day to post here. I had always planned to write descriptions of people and places, to warm up to the idea of pulling them all together into short stories, essays, and maybe even something longer. I knew that I could use my own experiences, the people and places that have become part of my life as inspiration. But the photos of the Sandy Hook children are so amazing, evidence of the amazing lives that were cut short; these are the inspiration I will use instead. And I'll use their names so that I will never forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment