Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 34 - Elva Lena, Beauty Rejuvenator

Aerial Image of  San Francisco  by FunGI_, via Flickr
Aerial Image of  San Francisco
by FunGI_, via Flickr

In January 1973, I had to find a place to live in San Francisco before classes began at San Francisco State University. I checked out a bulletin board on the campus and pulled a tab with a phone number from a flyer advertising a studio apartment within walking distance of the campus. After calling to make an appointment, I drove to the address, at the intersection of 19th Avenue and Randolph where I found an impressive white house on the corner, with red lettering on the side of the building, spelling out "Elva Lena." The door was opened by a woman who introduced herself as Betty, a friend of the family.

After inviting me through the foyer into the living room, Betty explained that she had been living with the family for the past two years, ever since Elva Lena's death. Elva Lena Pickerell was the wife of the owner of the house, Mr. H.V. Pickerell. Betty had come to stay with Mr. Pickerell and his adult daughter because Mr. Pickerell couldn't take care of himself and the house on his own. She told me that Mr. Pickerell was 89 years old. She also explained that they were still getting over Elva Lena's death so they didn't have regular meals. They just had small snacks during the day, cat snacks she called them.

At that point Mr. Pickerell joined us and I noticed that he had only one arm, a further explanation for Betty's continued presence. We discussed the furnished studio apartment available with a separate entrance at the garden side of the house. The apartment had a separate kitchen, bathroom and a walk-in closet that was so large the previous tenant had used it as her bedroom, maintaining the large room as a living room. That tenant, a teacher at the University, had recently moved into the one-bedroom apartment right next to the studio when it became available.

The rent was reasonable, the apartment was just a six-block walk from the University, so I was already sold on the place when another woman entered the room. Betty introduced the woman as Mr. Pickerell's daughter who had a 42-year-old son who was 6'2" tall and weighed 230 pounds and lived in Florida with his wife and three children. I thought it was a rather unusual introduction with so many details provided about someone I would likely never meet, but Betty's manner indicated the introduction was perfectly normal. I learned later why it was normal in that household.
Image you have probably seen many times before that looks a lot like the ones in Elva Lena's foyer
Image you have probably seen many times before that
looks a lot like the ones in Elva Lena's foyer

When Betty agreed to show me the apartment, we went through the entrance foyer where Betty pointed out the photos on the wall, the before and after photos of Elva Lena's clients. Elva Lena had been a beauty rejuvenator, with many famous women among her clients. The way she said it indicated I was supposed to understand what that meant, so I asked no questions.

The apartment was as Betty explained, a large enough room with walk-in closet more than sufficient for my four pairs of pants, dozen shirts, two jackets, two pairs of boots, hiking boots and four sweaters. I probably had a dress or two as well, but I rarely had a reason to wear one. The single bed had bolsters on the long side so it could serve as a sofa as well. There was a table to serve as a desk, four chairs and another table that would serve as my TV stand. The kitchen had all the dishes, pots and pans, and tableware I would need, and the bathroom had both a tub and a shower. I signed the lease and made out a check to H.V. Pickerell. I moved my suitcase into the apartment and then drove to Berkeley to the church where I had worked for the previous three years to pick up the few things I owned I had stored there for the period between moving out of my apartment in Berkeley and my return to California a month later.

In the next few days, Betty told me that I might see Mr. Pickerell's daughter in the yard now and then. If so, I wasn't to pay her any attention. She was a little confused since the death of her mother and she seemed to think that her son was still living with her and that he was about six years old. I never did see the daughter in the yard, but she knocked once on the door at the back of my apartment, the door that connected the apartment to the main house, and she asked if I had seen a little boy recently. I told her I hadn't and she just went away.

San Francisco State University image by prayitno, via Flickr
San Francisco State University image by prayitno,
via Flickr
About two months later, Betty stopped me as I was returning from classes and asked if I would be willing to take a photo of her with her cat. She had just gotten a Polaroid camera and she wanted her first photos to be of her cat. I agreed and waited in the yard while Betty went to get her cat. At first, I thought she had brought the cat out bundled up in a quilt, but as Betty got closer, I saw things differently. Betty explained that her cat had a skin condition that required he be completely covered so that he wouldn't scratch himself. What I thought was a quilt was in fact a cat version of a quilted jumpsuit. The only parts of the cat that weren't covered with the quilted suit were his tail, ears, and face. I took the photo which pleased Betty greatly. I didn't think to ask if the cat's skin condition was temporary. I assumed since she wanted a photo that day, waiting a few days or weeks wouldn't change the cat's appearance.

A few years later, when I was filling out one of the many forms I have had to complete for security clearances with the Department of State, I couldn't remember the address of the apartment. By then I also learned that the corner of 19th Avenue and Randolph wasn't specific enough. There are two places where 19th Avenue cross Randolph. I went to the library in Minneapolis and pulled a several-years-old San Francisco telephone book off the shelf to see if I could find the address by looking up Mr. Pickerell's name. Instead of his name, I found Elva Lena's name. Since Mr. Pickerell would be well into his 90s by that time, I was curious how many years later the listing would still be there. I picked up San Francisco white pages for successive years and found Elva Lena's name still there even 10 years later.

Though I never met Elva Lena,  she has been one of my most memorable characters ever since that January afternoon in 1973.

No comments:

Post a Comment